Monday, August 23, 2010

Ise Kadoya Imperial Smoked Porter

Ise Kadoya Microbrewery is located in Ise, Japan. The company also makes soy sauce, miso, cider and other Japanese food products. They are best known for brewing this Imperial Smoked Porter, Triple Hop Ale and an Imperial IPA among many other flagship beers.


The Imperial Smoked Porter pours a purely opaque
black with a brown head thickly capped on top. Aromas of smoked malts, nuts, heavy molasses and sweetness are all apparent. The taste is overly sweet with a huge smoky character looming behind this sweetness. Molasses, roasted malts, nuts, caramel malts all become apparent as subtle flavors withing the smokiness. An minute earthy peat like character also becomes distinguishable in the taste. The head is seemingly everlasting and produces a ridiculous amount of beautiful lacing. The alcohol taste is less prevalent than I expected with the ABV of this beer being 7%. I consider the smoky flavor to cause this discrepancy in the taste by overpowering the mild alcohol burn. A hugely rich beer full of flavors which in my opinion end up clashing with each other and in the end draw away from the beer overall. I do not believe I consider this to be an Imperial style of beer as it is neither alcoholic enough of rich enough. None-the-less, I consider Ise Kadoya Imperial Smoked Porter to be an interesting beer but not as incredible as I was hoping for.

Grade - B
Next Post- My 400th Beer - Mikkeller 10

No comments:

Post a Comment