Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hitachino Nest Commerative Ale

A couple of months ago, I posted a review of a Belgian Strong Ale from a Japanese craft brewer called Hitachino. For many years, Japan has been known for tasteless adjunct lagers such as Asahi, Sapporo and Kirin. This trend continued until recent years when Japanese brewers such as Hitachino, Isekadoya and Baird became well known in the American craft beer movement. Hitachino beers are brewed at a the Kiuchi Brewery in Ibaraki which is steeped in history itself; I won't bore you with the story of that however.

Hitachino Nest Commerative Ale, now known as Nest
New Years Celebration Ale is an 8% ABV spiced ale. It cannot be placed into one of the conventional beer styles as it isn't exactly the most conventional of beers. The pour is a bright orange body with a finger of white head. Beautiful aroma of cocoa, vanilla, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and very little hops. The taste is in perfect harmony with the aroma. Sweet and spicy, yet smooth and drinkable. A harsh alcohol bite ensues, but does not draw away from the beer on the whole for me. A citrus subtlety also exists in the taste which works well with the high alcohol content and the spices. The head has nearly disappeared but regenerates well and leaves minimal lacing. As this is not exactly what would be considered a session beer, the beer was nearly warm by the time I finished it. At room temperature, the beer was delightful and could be considered a winter warmer. So far, Hitachino has failed to disappoint me and my beer needs. I look forward to enjoying more of their offerings in the future, but for today all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

Grade: A
Next Post - Unibroue Don de Dieu

No comments:

Post a Comment